Schulich Chair in Geostatistics
- Room: CCIT 222
- Telephone: (403) 210-6324
- Fax: (403) 284-4852
- E-Mail: jjensen [at] ucalgary [dot] ca
BSc Hons, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, University of Birmingham (UK) 1973
MS, Petroleum Engineering, University of Houston 1981
PhD, Petroleum Engineering, University of Texas at Austin 1985
Dr. Jensen has research interests in reservoir characterization, particularly interdisciplinary topics such as:
- connectivity prediction in reservoir systems
- net pay assessment
- carbonate rock characterization
- strategic sampling for petrophysical evaluation
Dr. Jerry Jensen joined the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering in 2007 after 10 years' work in industry and 20 years at academic institutions. He is coauthor of more than 90 publications, including the book Statistics for Petroleum Engineers and Geoscientists (Elsevier 2nd Edition, 2000, and reprinted 2003). Some of his recent journal articles include
- Bui, T. D., Jensen, J. L., and Hanks, C. L., “Neural Network Modeling with Sparse Datasets,” Petroleum Science and Technology, v. 26, pp 545-561, 2008.
- Kaviani, D., Bui, T. D., Jensen, J. L., and Hanks, C. L., “The Application of Artificial Neural Networks with Small Data Sets: An Example For Analysis of Fracture Spacing in The Lisburne Formation, Northeastern Alaska,” SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering, v. 11, pp 598-605, 2008.
- Yousef, A. A., Jensen, J. L., and Lake, L. W., “Integrated Interpretation of Interwell Connectivity Using Injection and Production Fluctuations,” Mathematical Geosciences, v. 41, pp 81-102, 2009.
- Li, W., Jensen, J. L., Ayers, W. B., Hubbard, S. M., and Heidari, M. R., “Comparison of Interwell Connectivity Predictions Using Percolation and Geometrical Models and Monte Carlo Simulation,” Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, v. 68, pp. 180-186, 2009.
- Bouffin, N., and Jensen, J. L., “Efficient Detection of Productive Intervals in Oil and Gas Reservoirs,” J. Canadian Pet. Tech., v. 49, pp. 58-63, 2010.
- Eisinger, C. L., and Jensen, J. L., “Reservoir Characterization for CO2 Sequestration: Assessing the Potential of the Devonian Carbonate Nisku Formation of Central Alberta,” Oil & Gas Science and Technology-Revue de l'IFP, v. 66, pp. 47-65, 2011.
- Labrecque, P., Hubbard, S. M., and Jensen, J. L., “Sedimentology and Stratigraphic Architecture of a Point Bar Deposit, Lower Cretaceous McMurray Formation, Alberta, Canada,” Bull. Can. Petrol. Geol., v. 59, pp. 147-171, 2011.
- Labrecque, P., Jensen, J. L., and Hubbard, S. M., “Depositional Cyclicity in Lower Cretaceous Point Bar Deposits with Implications for Reservoir Characterization, Athabasca Oil Sands, Alberta, Canada,” Sedimentary Geology, v. 242, pp. 18-33, 2011.
- Kaviani, D., Valko, P., and Jensen, J. L., “Analysis of Injection and Production Data for Open and Large Reservoirs,” Energies, v. 4, pp. 1950-1972, 2011.
- Clarkson, C. R., Jensen, J. L., Pedersen, P. K., and Freeman, M., “Innovative Methods for Flow-Unit and Pore-Structure Analysis in a Tight Siltstone and Shale Gas Reservoir,” AAPG Bulletin ,v. 96, pp 355-374, 2012.
- Clarkson, C. R., Jensen, J. L., and Chipperfield, S., “Unconventional Gas Reservoir Evaluation: What Do We Have to Consider?” J Nat Gas Sci and Eng., v. 8, pp 9-33, 2012.
- Kaviani, D., Jensen, J. L., and Lake, L. W., “Estimation of Interwell Connectivity in the Case of Fluctuating Bottomhole Pressures,” J Petrol Sci and Eng., v. 90-91, pp. 79-95, 2012.
- Nieto Camargo, J. E., and Jensen, J. L., “Analysis of Fault Permeability Using Mapping and Flow Modeling, Hickory Sandstone Aquifer, Central Texas,” Nat. Resour. Res, v. 21, pp 395-409, 2012.
- Moghadasi, M., and Jensen, J. L., “Performance Evaluation of Swanson’s Rule for the Case of Log-Normal Populations,” Lecture Notes in Earth Systems Sciences, Springer, accepted 23 May, 2013.