Dr. Jergeas teaches in the area of project management with focus on contractual, team and collaborative related issues. Also focus on the strategic level for senior managers and executives.
Dr. Jergeas' research and teaching interests and activities include:
- Cost overruns on mega capital projects
- Value Improving Practices such as Constructability, Value Engineering and Benchmarking
- Project teambuilding, alignment and partnering
- Contractual arrangements, payment structures, risk allocation on construction projects
- Contracting and legal issues affecting engineering and construction
- Productivity studies and improvement
- Contract Administration on construction projects
- Construction claims and disputes avoidance, preparation, evaluation and resolution
Dr. George Jergeas joined the university as a full-time academic coming from industry in 1994. His career in industry was in the construction of international infra-structure projects. During his employment with Revay and Associates, he investigated over 30 construction projects, both in Canada and the USA, experiencing cost overrun and delay.
Dr. Jergeas' experience in industry and subsequent research has demonstrated a strong interest in improving the efficiency of construction projects. Dr. Jergeas' expertise includes construction claims and disputes, delay analysis, alternative dispute resolution, risk allocation and management, project controls and contract administration.
Cross appointments and affiliations:
- Director, Centre of Project Management Excellence
- Collaboration with The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim
Co-authored a book entitled “Risk Navigation Strategies for Major Capital Projects: Beyond the Myth of Predictability”. Published by Springers in 2011. Also, published over 100 journal and conference articles in project management.
Zadeh, M.T., Dehghan, R., Ruwanpura, J.Y., and Jergeas, G. (2016) “An index to assess project management competencies in managing design changes,” International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 5, issue 1, pp. 11-24.
Moazzami, M., Dehghan, R., Jergeas, G.F., and Ruwanpura, J.Y. (2015) “A theoretical framework to enhance the conversion process in convertible contracts,” International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. 4, issue 6, pp. 248-262.
Ikpe, E., Kumar, J., and Jergeas, G. (2015) “Benchmarking characteristics of steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) projects: based on interview findings,” Business and Management Horizons, vol. 3, no. 2.