Preferred method of communication
Please contact me by email.
- RF and mm-wave integrated circuits
- High-sensitivity receivers
Our research areas of focus include various aspects of RF and mm-wave circuits and systems, mixed-signal circuits, and beamforming networks. We have demonstrated ultra-sensitive room-temperature low-noise amplifiers (LNAs), novel noise-parameter measurement systems, new types of analog-to-digital converts, and unique beamforming solutions. For more information please contact Dr. Belostotski.
LNA survey can be found here. To cite, please use: L. Belostotski et al. "Low-noise-amplifier (LNA) performance survey." [Online]. Available: https://schulich.ucalgary.ca/contacts/leo-belostotski
Leonid Belostotski received BSc and MSc degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada, in 1997 and 2000, respectively, and PhD degree from the University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada, in 2007. He was an RF Engineer with Murandi Communications Ltd., Calgary, from 2001 to 2004. He is currently a professor with the University of Calgary and holds the Canada Research Chair in High-Sensitivity Radiometers and Receivers. His current research interests include RF and mixed-signal ICs, high-sensitivity receiver systems, antenna arrays, and terahertz systems. Dr. Belostotski was a recipient of the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques-11 Contest on Creativity and Originality in Microwave Measurements in 2008 and the Outstanding Student Designer Award from Analog Devices, Inc., in 2007. He is the IEEE Southern Alberta Solid-State, Circuits and Circuits and Systems Chapter’s Chair. He was previously an associate editor of the IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT. He is the editor-in-chief of the IEEE SOLID-STATE CIRCUITS MAGAZINE.
- Donuwan Navaratne, PhD, September 2012 to present (Low noise GPS receiver)
- Thisara Kulatunga, PhD candidate, July 2018 to present (radio astronomy receivers and ADCs)
- Alex Sheldon, PhD candidate, September 2016 to present (cryo LNAs, radio astronomy receivers)
- Hao Xie, PhD candidate, January 2017 to present (Multi-beam beamforming)
- Mohammad Radpour, PhD candidate, July 2017 to present (Noise shaping beamforming)
- Roshaan Ali, MSc, January 2018 to present (Beamforming)
- Mohamed Bala, PhD candidate, September 2017 to present (Co-supervised with Dr. Maundy) (Filters)
- Zahra Kabirkhoo, PhD candidate, September 2019 to present (ADCs)
- Mark Lai, MSc, September 2019 to present (LNAs)
- Dr. Sanjeev Jain (THz and RF VCOs), May 2016 - Aug 2017
- Dr. Ge Wu, (High speed ADCs), Jan. 2015 - Oct 2017
- Dr. Mukesh Kulsreshath (THz bolometers and receivers) Feb. 15 - Mar. 2016
- Dr. Yongsheng Xu, Postdoc (ADC ICs), Jan. 2010 - Dec. 2013
- Dr. Rashdan, Postdoc Co-supervised with Dr. Haslett) (SerDes)
- Dr. Mahbub Reja, Postdoc (ICs, LNAs, filters) May 2011-Sep. 2011
- Dr. Rola Baki, Postdoc (ICs, LNAs) Jan. 2010-Dec. 2011
- Nan Zhang, PhD, September 2014 to January 2021; Thesis title: Millimeter-wave and Sub-Terahertz Parametric Harmonic Generation
- Zhixing (Lincoln) Zhao, PhD, January 2010 to January 2021 (Co-supervised with Dr. Magierowski); Thesis title: Integrated CMOS Parametric Receiver Design for Short-range and High Data-rate Wireless Communication
- Dr. Eugene Zailer, PhD, September 2012 to April 2019 (Co-supervised with Dr. Plume) Thesis title: A Completely Integrated Warm-IF Receiver and a 10GS/s Analog-Delay Pipeline ADC for Radio-Telescope Applications
- Santosh Nath, MSc, September 2017 to July 2019 (Co-supervised with Dr. Messier) Thesis title: Channel Characteristics And Receiver Performance Analysis Of Mud Pulse Telemetry System
- Shawn Huang, MSc, Sept 2015 to June 2018 Thesis title: Extraction of Noise Parameters for Single-Ended Components Inside a Differential Circuit Using Single-Ended Equipment
- Thisara Kulatunga, MSc, January 2016 to April 2018 Thesis title: 400-to-800MHz Low-Noise Amplifier for Radio Astronomy
- Supun De Silva, MSc, Sept 2015 to Feb. 2018 Thesis title: Modeling of Antenna Arrays and Mutual Coupling between Array Elements Using S-Parameters
- Vahid Asgari, MSc, September 2014 to July 2017 Thesis title: "Wideband Linear 28-nm CMOS Variable-Gain Amplifier"
- Michael Himmelfarb, MSc, September 2013 to January 2016 Thesis title: "Measurement of Amplifier and Mixer Noise Parameters"
- Hao Xie, MSc, September 2012 to September 2015 Thesis title: "A 460 GHz CMOS Substrate-Integrated-Waveguide Slot Antenna"
- Dr. Hossein Taghavi, PhD, September 2009 to June 2015 Thesis title: "A CMOS Optical Receiver for the Square Kilometer Array Radio Telescope"
- Dr. Saeed Rezaei Nazifi, PhD, September 2009 to December 2014 (Co-supervised with Dr. Ghannouchi) Thesis title: "Continuous-Mode Power Amplifiers for Broadband Power Efficient Wireless Applications"
- Dr. Ge Wu, PhD, September 2008 to October 2014 (Co-supervised with Dr. Haslett) Thesis title: "A Broadband Variable-Gain Amplifier and a Broadband Self-Calibrated High-Sensitivity Power Detector for the Square Kilometre Array"
- Chris Henrikson, MSc, January 2010 to April 2014 (Co-supervised with Dr. Magierowski) Thesis title: "Integrated Radio Frequency Isolator"
- Delaram Shahhosseini, MSc, September 2010 to October 2012 Thesis title: "A Computer-Aided Design Assistant Tool for Elementary Linear Circuit Topologies"
- Behzad Dehlaghi-Jadid, MSc, September 2009 to January 2012 (Co-supervised with Dr. Magierowski) Thesis title: "On-Chip Circuits for Jitter Measurement and Signal Capture with Sub-Picosecond Resolution"
- Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim, PhD, September 2007 to January 2012 (Co-supervised with Dr. Haslett) Thesis title:" An Analytical Method for Noise Figure Optimization of Fully Integrated Inductively Degenerated SiGe HBT LNAs"
- Aaron Beaulieu, MSc, September 2008 to September 2011 Thesis title: "Wideband MEMS-Based Impedance Tuner for Source-Pull Noise-Parameter Measurement"
- Peyman Ahmadi, MSc, September 2009 to Jule 2011 (Co-supervised with Dr. Maundy) Thesis title: "High Quality Factor Asymmetric-slope Band-pass Filters"
- Donuwan Navaratne, MSc, September 2008 to July 2011 Thesis title:"Wide-band Low-Noise CMOS Amplification Stage for a Square Kilometer Array Receiver"
- Zhao (Lincoln) Zhixing, MSc, September 2008 to December 2010 (Co-supervised with Dr. Magierowski) Thesis title: "Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit Parametric Frequency Converters"
View a list of publications.
GREAT Supervisor Award, 2016
Schulich School of Engineering Research Excellence Award, 2015
Outstanding Teaching Performance (multiple years)