Dr. Shor teaches the following courses:
- ENCH 687 – Petroleum Economics
- ENPE 515 – Drilling and Completions
- ENSF 310 – Fundamentals of Software Design and Development
- SEDV 601 – Energy Systems I: Non-Renewable Energy
- Energy engineering
- Engineering for the environment
- Intelligent and autonomous digital systems
- Reduced order modelling and modelling for control
- Drillstring dynamics modeling and measurement
- Stick-slip mitigation systems
- Drilling optimization through data analytics
- Drilling systems automation
- Geothermal energy systems
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence
Graduate program affiliations
Dr. Shor’s students have training in drilling engineering, control theory and data management. Undergraduate and graduate students with strong backgrounds in mathematics and basic physical sciences with interests in dynamics modelling and controls should contact him with regards to current research opportunities. Please email him your CV, a paragraph describing your interests and a writing sample.
Dr. Shor is the faculty advisor for the University of Calgary Drillbotics team (http://drillbotics.com) sponsored by SPE DSATS.
Dr. Shor is the lead investigator in the integrated Drilling Research Laboratory (http://wcm.ucalgary.ca/drilling/).
Roman Shor, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering of the Schulich School of Engineering at the University of Calgary. He is the lead investigator of the integrated Drilling Research Laboratory (iDRL), the co-lead investigator of the Geothermal Energy Laboratory (GEL) and an instructor in the Sustainable Energy Development M.Sc. program. He is interested in energy systems, the interplay of renewable and traditional energy sources, systems thinking, and sustainability.
His research interests lie in the areas of drillstring dynamics modelling and control, drilling optimization and drilling systems automation. Specifically, the application of reduced-order modelling and modelling for control to enable model predictive control for drilling tasks and drilling optimization through data processing and machine learning.
His collaborative research projects include an investigation of fluid rheology with applications to drilling fluids, magnetorheological fluids and their applications, hydraulic fracture placement optimization, and applications of seismic processing methods to drillstring imaging. Finally, he is also active in the areas of machine learning and artificial intelligence with particular attention to applications in the energy industry.
Dr. Shor’s current publications may be found on Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=w3JKNpoAAAAJ&hl=en)
- Auriol, J., Aarsnes, U.J.F., Di Meglio, F, and Shor, R.J. Robust control design of under-actuated 2 x 2 PDE-ODE-PDE systems. IEEE Control System Letters (5). 469-474. 2020.
- Hu, H., Guan, Z., Shor, R.J., Xu, Y., Han, C., Liu, Y. and Lu, B. Dynamic Response and Strength Failure Analysis of Bottomhole under Balanced Drilling Condition. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering (194). 2020.
- Novotnik, B., Nandy, A., Venkatesan, S. V., Radović, J. R., De la Fuente, J., Nejadi, S., Silva, R.C., Kouris, A., Thangadurai, V., Bryant, S., Karan, K., Shor, R.J., Strous, M., and Larter, S.R. Can fossil fuel energy be recovered and used without any CO2 emissions to the atmosphere?. Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/Technology, 1-24. 2020.
- Auriol, J., Shor, R.J., Aarsnes, U. J., & Di Meglio, F. Closed-loop tool face control with the bit off-bottom. Journal of Process Control. 2020.
- Liu, H., Shor, R.J., and Park, S.S. Data Fusion by a Supervised Learning Method for Orientation Estimation Using Multi-Sensor Configuration Under Conditions of Magnetic Distortion and Shock Impact. IEEE Access, 8, 7776-7791. 2020.
- Auriol, J., Kazemi, N., Shor, R.J., Innanen, K. A., and Gates, I. D. A Sensing and Computational Framework for Estimating the Seismic Velocities of Rocks Interacting With the Drill Bit. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. 2019.
- Aarsnes, U.J.F., Auriol, J., Di Meglio, F., and Shor, R.J. Estimating friction factors while drilling. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 179, 80-91. 2019.
- Aarsnes, U.J.F., Di Meglio, F. and Shor, R.J. Avoiding stick slip vibrations in drilliing through startup trajectory design. Journal of Process Control (70) 24-35. 2018.
- Aarsnes, U.J.F. and Shor, R.J. Torsional vibrations with bit off bottom: modeling, identification and field data validation. Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology (163) 712-721. 2018.
- Cayeux, E., Shor, R.J., Ambrus, A., Daireaux, B., Pournazari, P., Ashok, P., and van Oort, E. From the Laboratory to ERD Wells: How Scale affects Drillability and the Management of Drilling Incidents. Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology (160). 91-105. 2018.
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Auriol, J., Aarsnes, U.J.F. and Shor, R.J. Self-Tuning Torsional Drilling Model for Real-Time Applications. American Controls Conference. 2020.
- Auriol. J., Kazemi, N., Innanen, K. and Shor, R.J. Combining Formation Seismic Velocities while Drilling and a PDE-ODE observer to improve the Drill-String Dynamics Estimation. American Controls Conference. 2020.
- Aarsnes, U.J.F, Di Meglio, F. and Shor, R.J. Benchmarking of Industrial Stick-Slip Mitigation Controllers. IFAC Automatic Control in Offshore Oil and Gas Production Conference. 2018. Nominated for best paper award.
- Aarsnes, U.J.F and Shor, R.J. Stick-slip and Torsional Friction Factors in Inclined Wellbores. MATEC Web of Conference 148. International Conference on Engineering Vibration. 2017.
- Shor, R.J., Pehlivanturk, C., Acikmese, B., van Oort, E. Propagation of Torsional Vibrations in Drillstrings: How Borehole Geometry Affects Transmission and Implications on Mitigation Techniques. International Conference on Engineering Vibration 2015.
- Shor, R.J., Pryor, M. and van Oort, E. Drillstring Vibration Observation, Modeling and Prevention in the Oil and Gas Industry. ASME Dynamic Systems and Controls Conference. 2014. (DSCC2014-6147).
- Kazemi, N., Auriol, J., Innanen, K., Shor, R. and Gates, I. Successive Full-Waveform Inversion of Surface Seismic and Seismic-While-Drilling Datasets without Low Frequencies. In 82nd EAGE Annual Conference & Exhibition. 2020.
- Nejadi, S., Kazemi, N., Curkan, J., Auriol, J., Durkin, P., Hubbard, S., Innanen, K., Shor, R.J. and Gates, I. Look ahead of the bit while drilling: potential impacts and challenges in the McMurray Formation. In SPE Canada Heavy Oil Conference. 2020.
- Trivedi, A. S., Clarkson, C. R., and Shor, R. J. Accounting for Hydraulics and Vibration in MSE Calculations to Estimate Formation Properties. In IADC/SPE International Drilling Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers. 2020. (SPE-199672-MS)
- Saadallah, N., Gravdal, J.E., Ewald, R., Moi, S., Ambrus, A., Daireaux, B., Sivertsen, S., Hellang, K., Shor, R., Sui, D. and Sandor, S.I.,. OpenLab: Design and Applications of a Modern Drilling Digitalization Infrastructure. In SPE Norway One Day Seminar. Society of Petroleum Engineers. 2019. (SPE-195629-MS)
- Pastusek, P.E., Payette, G.S., Shor, R.J., Cayeux, E., Aarsnes, U.J.F., Hedengren, J. Menand, S., Macpherson, J.D., Gandikota, R.A., Behounek, M., Harmer, R.J., Detournay, E., Illerhaus, R., and Liu, Y. Creating Open Source Models, Test Cases and Data for Oilfield Drilling Challenges. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference. 2019 (SPE-194082-MS).
- Liu, H., Shor, R.J., and Park, S. Intelligent Wellbore Path Estimation Using Multiple Integrated MEMS Sensors. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference. 2019 (SPE-194127-MS).
- Okoli, P., Vega, J.C. and Shor, R.J. Estimating Downhole Vibration via Machine Learning Techniques Using Only Surface Drilling Parameters. SPE Western Regional Meeting. 2019. (SPE-195334-MS).
- Nejadi, S., Hubbard, S.M., Shor, R.J., Gates, I.D. and Wang, J. Optimization of placement of flow control devices under geological uncertainty in steam assisted gravity drainage. SPE Thermal Well Integrity and Design Symposium. 2018. (SPE-193364-MS).
- Kazemi, N., Shor, R.J., Innanen, K. Illumination Compensation with Seismic-While-Drilling Plus Surface Seismic Imaging. EAGE Conference and Exhibition 2018.
- Farhangfar, A., Torre, A.M., and Shor, R.J.. Evaluating Human-Machine Interaction for Automated Drilling Systems. SPE Canada Unconventionals Conference. 2018. (SPE-189811-MS).
- Shor, R.J., Dykstra, M.W. and Coming, M. For Better or Worse: Applications of the Transfer Matrix Approach for Analyzing Axial and Torsional Vibration. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference. 2015. (SPE-173121-MS).
- Ashok, P., Ambrus, A., Shor, R.J. and van Oort, E. Overcoming Barriers to Adoption of Drilling Automation: Moving Towards Automated Well Manufacturing. SPE/IADC Drilling Conference. 2015. (SPE-173164-MS).
- Shor, R.J. and Sharma, M.M. Reducing Proppant Flowback from Fractures: Factors Affecting the Maximum Flowback Rate. SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference. 2014. (SPE-168649-MS).