Dr. Hassanzadeh has taught the following courses:
- ENCH 657 – Advanced Reservoir Engineering
- ENPE 523 – Introduction to Reservoir Engineering
- ENPE 429 – Reservoir Engineering
- ENPE 505 – Surface Production Operations
- ENPE 533 – Production Engineering
- ENPE 509 – Well Testing
- ENPE 551 – Petroleum Engineering Laboratory
- ENPE 511 – Final Year Oil and Gas Design Project I
- ENPE 531 – Final Year Oil and Gas Design Project II
Preferred method of communication
I am always looking for highly motivated students with strong background in engineering mathematics, fluid flow, heat, and mass transfer in porous media who are excited about pursuing graduate studies in chemical & petroleum engineering.
Research and teaching
- Convective dissolution of CO2 and acid gases in geological formations
- Solvent-assisted bitumen recovery processes
- Solvent/bitumen/water phase behaviour and property measurements
Dr. Hassanzadeh’s research expertise is in analytical and numerical modeling of transport phenomena in porous media with application to heavy oil and bitumen recovery, geological storage of CO2 and acid-gases, upscaling of multi-scale reactive flows, double diffusive convection in aquifers and oil reservoirs, and modeling and upscaling of fluid flow and transport in fractured reservoirs. He has conducted research on geological storage of CO2 in deep saline aquifers, heavy oil and bitumen recovery, and fluid flow in naturally fractured reservoirs where he has used analytical and numerical modeling of the processes involved.
Dr. Hassan Hassanzadeh is an associate professor in the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering. He holds a BSc from the Petroleum University of Technology, an MSc from the University of Tehran, and a PhD from the University of Calgary. He is a registered professional engineer with APEGA.
- Jafari Raad, S. M., Emami-Meybodi, H., Hassanzadeh, H On the choice of analogue ﬂuids in CO2 convective dissolution experiments, Water Resources Research, 2016, 52, 4458–4468.
- Dejam, M., Hassanzadeh, H., Chen, J., Shear dispersion in combined pressure-driven and electro-osmotic flows in a capillary tube with a porous wall, AIChE Journal, 2015, 61(11),3981–3995.
- Emami-Meybodi, H. Hassanzadeh, H., Green, C.P., Ennis-King, J., Convective dissolution of CO2 in saline aquifers: Progress in modelling and experiments (Invited Review), International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 2015, 40,238–266.
- Jafari Raad, S.M., Hassanzadeh, H. Onset of dissolution-driven instabilities in fluids with nonmonotonic density, Physical Review E, 2015, 92, 053023, 92(5).
- Salari, H. Hassanzadeh, H. and Abedi, J., Approximate analytical solutions for steady-state nonisothermal convection-diffusion-reaction in a slab, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 2015, 264(1) 141–159.