Internship FAQs

Am I eligible for an internship?

  • You must have completed all courses required for the first three years of your engineering degree to participate in our internship program.
  • You must be registered as an undergraduate full-time student and be in good academic standing – with a GPA of at least 2.0 during the past academic year.
  • You must return to the Schulich School of Engineering as a full-time student after completing your internship for a minimum of one full-time semester.

If you don’t meet these requirements, you can still apply for internship. You would be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

How do I decide where to work?

Securing an internship is designed to give you a real-life experience finding a full-time job. You can check job postings, apply for positions that interest you and, if selected, interview for the job. You can also search independently for positions. Not all employers choose to post on our website and we encourage students to take an active role in securing an internship.

Once an employer has offered you an internship and you have accepted the offer, please notify the internship program through and your start date and internship can be set up.

When can I apply?

The application process begins in September of your third year of studies, which is typically 8 to 12 months before your work term begins.

How do I apply?

Visit CareerLink, login to register to attend career events, apply to internship, view job postings and more.  

Can my internship count towards my P.Eng.?

Yes, APEGA  may recognize up to one year of the internship experience towards your Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) designation. You should review the requirements with APEGA directly.

Students who complete internship may only have to work for three years before they can apply to become a Professional Engineer.

Can I take courses while on internship?

Internship is a full-time experience and we encourage students to focus on this and the INTE course accompanying it exclusively.

Students may take up to 18 credits per semester, 15 of which will be represented by the INTE internship course. If you intend on taking an additional daytime course, you must discuss your plan with your employer and get their full support. An employer is not required to give you time off work for a class.

When should I apply for my work Visa?

If you are an international student you must apply immediately following acceptance of an internship position.

The application will require applying for a Co-Op/Intern Work Permit from the Government of Canada Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website. 

See more details on the the Government of Canada Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website

How am I marked?

The INTE 513 courses represent the academic requirements of the program.  These courses are based on reflection assignments and will be marked as Credit (CR) or Fail (F) on your transcript, but will not be included in your GPA calculation.

The Work Integrated Learning Outcomes (WILO) feedback tool is non-academic, required but not graded, designed to evaluate an intern’s performance in areas identified by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB). These performance evaluations can help you understand your strengths and opportunities from your supervisor’s perspective and start a dialogue with your leader on the development of your workplace abilities.  The due date of each WILO evaluation are fixed throughout the year, related to whichever term you are currently in:  Winter March 15, Spring/Summer July 15, and Fall November 15. It is your responsibility to ensure the evaluations are completed with your supervisor and submitted by the assigned date.

Does my degree show my internship?

While taking an internship placement adds a full year to the standard four-year engineering degree, students are awarded a with internship designation on their parchment.